- Who We Are
- The Problem
- Goals & Recommendations
- Get Involved
Application to Join
In dozens of countries across the globe students, educators, schools, intellectuals, aid workers, education institutions and education opportunities are threatened by armed attacks, assassinations, abductions, forced recruitment, looting, destruction of property and other violence. In these settings the right to education is at risk, as is the physical, cognitive and psychosocial well-being of students and their teachers and communities. This significant problem requires urgent attention.
A unique inter-agency coalition, the Global Coalition to Protect Education from Attack (GCPEA), has been formed to lead an international effort to respond to this need. The goals of GCPEA are to:
- To highlight the incidence and impact of attacks on education in conflict and insecurity among key actors and cultivate public support for safe education.
- To promote better systems for monitoring and reporting attacks on education.
- To promote effective programmes and policy to protect education from attack, including prevention and response.
- To encourage adherence to existing international law protecting education and the strengthening of international norms and standards as needed; and
- To fight impunity for attacks on education by promoting and supporting a range of accountability measures.
GCPEA is governed by a steering committee made up of the following international organizations: Council for Assisting Refugee Academics (CARA), Human Rights Watch (HRW), Institute of International Education/ IIE Scholar Rescue Fund, Protect Education in Insecurity and Conflict (PEIC), Save the Children, UNICEF, UNESCO, and UNHCR. GCPEA is a project of the Tides Center, a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization.
GCPEA is inviting organizations at global, national and local levels to join as affiliated organizations in order to expand the network of organizations working toward achievement of GCPEA’s goals. As an affiliated organization, you will:
Become part of an advocacy network of peer organizations to strengthen protection of education
Have the opportunity to take part in selected temporary working groups
Have an opportunity to contribute to the body of knowledge of the incidence of attacks on education
Receive periodic updated information on attacks against education worldwide
Please take the time to review both documents and complete the application form.
Please return the attached application to GCPEA. We thank you for your participation in advance and ask that you direct any questions or comments to firstname.lastname@example.org or via telephone at 1.212.377.9446.